Monday, May 2, 2011

The Self - destructive Center

I wish to be a neurologist. And when I become one, there's one topic I wish to research more than all others. The existence of the 'Self-destructive Center'. (SDC)
I've heard a lot about it; probably because I came up with the term. But the more I think of it, and the more I observe human behaviour, the more I'm convinced that its the only explanation. This, in a nutshell, is my proposed theory.

There is a center in our brain, probably close to the hippocampus and amygdala region (that controls emotions), that doesn't give a shit about consequences. Its the one that probably looks like a raised finger on a CT scan. This center has outputs to all the higher centers in our cerebrum, including the ones for reasoning and analysis, learning from past experiences, and common sense. It vetoes them all.
Any whim or impulse you might get, is born partly from your frontal lobes, which controls your thoughts, and partly from the hippocampus. From here, it goes around a quick circuit, checking with all the concerned parties whether its ok to go ahead with it. If its a crazy idea, like doing drugs, or gambling away all your money, or staying up all night playing computer games when you have an important exam the next day, the answer from all the corners of your brain would be a resounding NO! Then finally, the infant rebellious idea ends up in the SDC. Five minutes later, you're either stoned, or broke. Or too involved in a game to care.
Maybe its a daredevil attitude, like trying to figure out how far you can push your luck.
Maybe deep down, you really dont care about your coronaries and heart attacks; why else would you eat so much junk food and not exercise?
Maybe I should just call it the Suicide Center.

2 comments:

Rogue Trader said...

I need to shut this down in my brain :P

Siddharth Warrier said...

Programme an emergency reset button :P