Friday, April 10, 2015

On Acknowledgement


I used to think the need for acknowledgement was a sign of a fragile ego. I acknowledge that I was mistaken.

"Acknowledgement" means Accord / Accept Knowledge. It is the difference between blindly learning, and understanding what you've learnt.

In the human body, just as in physics, or chemistry, every thing has a reaction. That's the way the universe works; that's how it communicates.

Acknowledging someone's thought is the starting point of communication, which is the starting point of a conversation.

Our social system is built on a fabric of communication, which while may not be the strongest one, is nevertheless, all we have. And as long as we are involved in this system in any capacity, we must understand that everyone of us needs acknowledgement for the things we say and do.

Imagine talking to people and have no one replying to you. Or sending letters and have no one write back. Would that cause you any form of uneasiness?
How about something you've achieved, and you were expecting people to appreciate or at least notice it, and no one does. Would that disturb you?
Or what if nobody wishes on your birthday? 
Or don't pick up your phone?
Or pick up on the signs that you're not feeling well?
Or  at least try to understand you?
In other words, would you be alright if you're not acknowledged?

If I were to send someone a message and not receive acknowledgement of that, I would assume that that person does not wish to have a conversation with me. Which in itself, is absolutely acceptable, except that, that I would always prefer to be told that, rather than having to assume it.

Acknowledgement does not mean replying to a question or participating in a discussion; it simply means - 'Message received'. But it has to come from the person to whom the message was sent to, not by a program with two blue tick marks.

Not acknowledging is, I believe, worse than ignorance; because while the latter is Not knowing, the former is Refusing to know.

It's not just external; often we don't acknowledge ourselves. Every time our brain gets a new thought, or impulse, and we choose to ignore it, or suppress it, that is us not acknowledging who we are. And if we refuse to talk to ourselves long enough, eventually that conversation dies out.

I accept that it's difficult at times to acknowledge everything we ought to, being far too caught up in our own hypocrisies to pay attention to others or even ourselves. But, in this case, the price we pay is that we miss out on a conversation, a lesson, or getting to know that someone else. Or ourselves.

No comments: