Sunday, July 5, 2015

The Two Sisters

Fear and love, I've heard, are kin.
Rumour has it, that they are twins.
Love came first - a warm, vibrant glow.
Fear followed her - struggling, slow.
And it's been that way since.

Growing up, Love would leap a wall,
Before she'd look or think to fall.
While Fear - she would watch and wait
Retrace her steps and hesitate,
And then not leap at all.

Love would always have a smiling face
While playing hide and seek, or chase.
She'd be everyone's sunshine in need
Fear- would prefer to sit and read
And not participate in all the craze.

Once, they found a wild cat to tame
'Curiosity' was the kitten's name.
Curiosity preferred Love's attention;
Now Fear felt ignored in this affection,
And she'd always interrupt their game.

In time, Love had an admirer - a young man
Named Courage - and they began
Their courtship. Yet, none came to see
Poor Fear, in her sister's shadow. So she,
In her frustration, hatched a plan.

Spoke she to Courage - a poisoned word-
"I only convey what you may have also heard,
Love's pleasures are not, for you alone, spared;
There are others, between whom, love is shared.
And you, are just one of many, preferred."

Her words, like arrows, pierced his heart.
Without goodbyes, then, he did depart.
Now broken, Love, into hiding went.
Dark days, behind locked doors, she spent,
That no one could pry apart.

Sunshine withered, and began to fade.
Curiosity died, because no one played.
And Fear.. Ah! She should've felt,
Such joy at the cunningness she'd dealt.
But, she was alone. And fear felt afraid.

She thought - of Love, how much she missed her.
For meaningless is fear without her sister.
Loneliness and remorse filled her chest.
She then found Courage, and confessed.
And he - broke down Love's doors, and kissed her.

Love and Courage now live together.
The only way to get to one is through the other.
And yes! They have made a special place
For Fear, in their hearts. And there she stays,
As family.  For sisters, take care of one another.

9 comments:

Dr BC said...

Awesome....awesome...!!!

Sucheta Tiwari said...

Long time since I came here- and like every time, SO glad I did. This was brilliant. So, so... true. And well crafted. :)

Aayushi Mehta said...

Good work! First time visitor to your blog. Since when are you writing? This felt too much like a deja vu of myself some years back :D

Anonymous said...

You're poems are incredibly inspirational and I was at the last poetry reading, so could you post your poem "Gravity" i still remember bits of it and would love to read it again :)

Ami Bhatia said...

amazing, the way you have gathered your thoughts. its very well written

Siddharth Warrier said...

Thanks Sucheta :)

Siddharth Warrier said...

Thanks..

Here's the link to Gravity. Glad you liked it..

http://thejunkinmybrain.blogspot.in/2014/11/gravity.html

Siddharth Warrier said...

Thanks Aayushi.. Glad you enjoyed it :) I remember browsing through your blog a year back! Made for fun reading as well.

I've been blogging since 7 years now, I think; though I've been writing since longer.
Keep sharing! Cheers :)

Siddharth Warrier said...

Thanks, Ami :)