I heard it on the news. And then I heard it in the train. Then I started hearing it on the streets; and I thought, this can't be right, something's wrong. It was like a case of bad hiccups, it kept happening. Then I realized what it was. I was having an exacerbation of what they call 'Sense of humour'. And there was something funny everywhere!
The lady on the news channel spoke of Al-qaeda, the deadliest terrorist organisation in the world, and how it's leaders were now highly active on facebook. Really..? I caught myself wondering.
How many friends do they have on their 'network'? Do they poke anyone? Do they play Mafia Wars? And do they ever 'tag' any of their intended targets? It's such a perfect metaphor, it's almost a shame if they wasted it. And I wondered if the idea behind the 9-11 attack was born when Osama was faced with the question - 'What's on your mind?', directly above a link someone had put up of how beautiful the twin towers looked at night.
And imagine how easy it would be for terrorist kids to post comments, that are guaranteed tons of 'Likes'.. Down with Amrika! Go Jihad! 72 Virgins..Yeah!
Lets talk of trains. Here's what I think about a nice comfortable train ride - It's a wonderful concept, will I live to see it? I have lived in Nallasopara my whole life, or atleast half my life. The other half, I've spent in the train getting there. And strangely, the fact that I always have ten thousand people with me in that compartment sharing the same fate, brings small relief. I'd love to travel in comfort; but to say that you like trains, just not crowded trains, is like saying you love Orthopedics, you just don't wanna deal with all the bones. It's stupid, it doesn't work. You just have to shut your eyes, go to sleep, and one hour later, you're almost home.
The upside of having to travel so much, is that I genuinely get time for myself, whether to finish a small novel (like Lord Of The Rings), catch up with old friends (or the whole class for that matter), or just in general, to think of random philosophical crap about life; which, years later, I can use in my blog.
The word on the street is that life is tough. And that the Government is corrupt, our police inefficient; our economy is like a rich fat housewife (highly inflated, but doesn't get any real work done) and that our potholes are full of roads. My question is, what's your point?
Everything is out there for everyone to see, and anyone can conclude that it's screwed up. I have yet to see how announcing it more than once will ever help. The most irritating people I know are the ones who go around in the middle of summer, reminding everyone how hot it is.
The truth is, anyone can make us sad or bring us down; I dare them to make us laugh. Because the joke's out there, some point of view which seems to make the whole thing much more bearable. And because that is a worthwhile goal, it makes finding that particular point of view a worthwhile effort as well. Life can be a clever joke. Get it?


2 comments:
Life "is" a clever joke ;) The amount of energy spent on announcing things can be used to generate awareness and improve things - one day I'm sure.
Absolutely. But that takes intelligence, apart from a sense of humour.
And in the meantime, repeated punchlines are leaving bruises ;)
Post a Comment