Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Cracked

Human interactions are so fragile. Sometimes, I wonder if we are so desperate for meaningful bonds, that we over-estimate the strength of our existing ones. Most of us hardly know ourselves completely, and never realize what our true fears are until we're faced with them. Or what our real perversions are, until we're tempted. Which is why I find it presumptuous, when people, sometimes including myself, place so much faith, and attach so many emotions, into any relationship between them and another, equally unpredictable, human being.
Given this scenario, you would think that the least we could do is atleast prepare ourselves for unexpected outcomes. But as it turns out, our defined response to anything that doesn't fit into our expectation is either disappointment and sadness, or shock and anger. "How could you do this to me?"...well.. how could you not have seen it coming. Both equally impossible questions, as it was unpredictable.
I dont wish to be too judgmental, I know why we do it. We want the company. In a society based on interaction, it must be really difficult, even impossible, to manage on your own. And maybe at the social level, most of the uncertainty cancels itself out. By now, we've all been trained to behave appropriately, 'formally'. And it works.
But the more we insist on 'opening up',and being free, the closer we get to all the insecurities and idiosyncrasies of the person. And then to be dependent on this person for your personal happiness..
Its bad enough to fall; but I imagine it'll hurt a lot more if you fell because the wall you were leaning on just broke apart.

No comments: