Thursday, March 24, 2011

Emotions and Emoticons - Part 1

Recently I have been made to think of the power that emotions hold over us. And I admit, I had never quite considered it that way before. They grip us, consume us, confuse us, take us to far-away places and then leave us there; and there we remain, clueless as to what comes next, perhaps waiting for the next emotion to take us back.
But, atleast personally, there is no problem or confusion that familiarity cannot help clear up. And a mistake once made, or in this case, an emotion once felt fully, has to make the subsequent experience more easier to handle. I've never had an issue with anger, but if I were to speak of jealousy, then everytime I have felt it, it has grown more and more detached.

A different aspect to it is the fear of emotions. Or the fear of showing any emotion, maybe believing that they may reveal some deep hidden part of you.
I know people who are not comfortable with face to face conversations; preferring the 'safety' of an sms or internet chat. In this, they excel; using the full range of Lol's, Rofl's, smileys, winks, and a dozen other digital facial expressions that one would normally never use in real life. No one has ever stuck their tongue out at me in a conversation, yet during online chats, it has happened more times than I care to remember.

No comments: